Six Sentence Sunday, Aug 12

Welcome, Six Sentence Sunday-ers! This is another tidbit from my WIP, a vacation fling story set in Playa Del Carmen. This comes from the very beginning of the story, when my heroine, Ally, is trying to escape the cloud of gloom hanging over her. Ally has cared for her ailing grandmother for years, and the elderly woman died six months ago. This trip is supposed to be Ally’s reintroduction to the larger world, but it’s not going so well. Ally and her friend are sunbathing by the pool at their hotel:

Flamingos and scarlet macaws dipped their heads to drink at the nearby fountain, and the occasional slow-moving iguana wandered between the chaise lounges. One approached and fixed Ally with its unblinking stare, so she offered it the maraschino cherry from her drink. Testing it with a cautious swipe of its tongue, it deemed her offering acceptable and retreated under a nearby table to devour its prize.

This was paradise. She ought to drink her cocktail and savor the beauty of the place.

She couldn’t.

For more Six Sentence Sunday, go here.

This entry was posted in Playa Del Carmen, Six Sentence Sunday. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Six Sentence Sunday, Aug 12

1. Jess Schira says:

I agree, it sounds like paradise to me. Great job, Linda, with the visual stimulation. Nicely done!

2. Great visual and it sounds like paradise, so why can't she enjoy it? Great six. 🙂

3. Excellent description. I too am wondering why she can't enjoy it, but given your introduction, I think I can guess. So that last line packed a lot of punch. Terrific six.

4. OMG. Love the description. I want to go there. NOW.

5. Paula Martin says:

Great description. And a zinger of a last line!

6. Oh what a great 6! I loved how you zoomed in on the moment and showed how, despite the idyllic surroundings, her soul was still too numb. (Loved the iguana)

7. Nicole says:

Great description and imagery. Had the perfect image in my mind of paradise.

8. You do description well…very easy to visualize…but curious why she can't have a good time. Looking forward to next week.

9. K.E. Saxon says:

I want a vacation! Man, you really took me there–and I just so happen to love animals a lot, so this one really made me pine for the tropics. Great six!!

10. Beautifully described setting, and then the punch to the gut when you share with us how she's feeling. Fantastic job!

11. Silver James says:

Love the description, Linda, and then other shoe drops. Excellent!

12. Kate Warren says:

It's a shame when a person can't enjoy a setting like that.

13. Calisa Rhose says:

Lol This is just something you don't experience every day! Great six Linda. 😆

14. Well dang. Don't stop there! Why can't she just enjoy paradise?

15. Linda Morris says:

Thanks for all your comments, everybody! I love seeing what everybody has to say. See you next week.